Russian roads
New look

History

At present

ABZ-1 group of specialized companies has the aggregate annual turnover of about 7 bln. rbl., over 1,000 employees and works in the following areas of activities:

  • general contract in construction;
  • road construction works;
  • mastic asphalt;
  • road construction materials;
  • broken stone production;
  • transportation services (motor transport, railway transport);
  • innovations in construction.

1994–2004

The Asphaltobetonny zavod N1 produced over 4 mln. tons of asphalt (including about 2.5 mln. tons of high-quality asphalt for upper layers of road pavement).

1999

The development strategy of the enterprise focuses on expansion of the contract activities and integration of divisions.

1994

The Asphaltobetonny zavod N1 Open Joint-Stock Company was the first enterprise in the North-West of Russia to use gabbro broken stone and improved road bitumen for production of road asphalt mixes.

1993

The plant became a joint-stock company and its development strategy asserts production of high-quality products only based on introduction of progressive technologies.

In the period from 1932 till 1993 the enterprise produced about 15 million tons of asphalt.

1965

The quantity of road pavements in the city tripled compared to 1932.

1964

By the decision of Leningrad Executive Committee the Asphaltobetonny zavod N1 was transferred to the Road Operation Trust.

1952

The plant came into service after reconstruction and started production of the road asphalt mix. Its two plants produced 400 thousand tons.

1950

The Asphaltobetonny zavod N1 stopped production of the road asphalt mix due to disassembly of its mixers and the main building of the new plant was supposed to be put up in their places. The team of about 23 workers was involved in preparation of bitumen for the new plant, disassembly of the old equipment and repair works. The main task of the enterprise was regular communication with design and contracting organizations, equipment suppliers with a view to speed-up of construction of the new plant on its territory. A great role was played by Chief Engineer Z.G. Tsenter and Director A.I. Grigelevich.

1949

The Asphaltobetonny zavod N1 produced 32 thousand tons of the road asphalt mix.

1947

As the construction season began, the Asphaltobetonny zavod N1 started production of the road asphalt mix. This allowed to increase the area of the new asphalt pavement on the city streets 2.5 times. The company is involved in designing a new asphalt plant and started construction of the factory management building. All the technological part was worked out by Semen Ivanovich Verisotsky, Chief Mechanical Engineer of Dormost. The plant is unrivaled with regard to the equipment of the main building: one building accommodates mixing, drying-crushing and stone-crushing units, railway tracks and a warehouse of inert materials! For the first time inert materials are fed into receiver hoppers by clamshell traveling cranes. The closed-in bitumen warehouse with steam-heating and approach railway lines, bitumen melting units and boiler are located in separate buildings at a considerable distance from the main building.

1946

The Asphaltobetonny zavod N1 that had been conserved for the period of the war started regaining its independence.  Throughout the year it was involved most in repair of its equipment and procurement of materials (bitumen and broken stone); therefore, it produced little road asphalt mix. From 1946 until the start of reconstruction the director of the Asphaltobetonny zavod N1 was V.A. Kolesnikov.

1941–1943

Within two years 40 thousand m2 out of the damaged 46 thousand m2 of road pavement in Leningrad were restored.

1941

A Special Road-Bridge Restoration Battalion of the Local Air-Defense of Leningrad was created on the basis of construction organizations of Dormost directorate.  Its task was performance of all the works related to liquidation of damage in places of destruction after fascist air and shell attacks. The workers of the Asphaltobetonny zavod N1 passed under the command of squadron N2 of the Special Battalion. The plant was conserved.

Works were under way to asphalt the military airfield in Pushkin.

1938–1940

The most significant event of the years in road pavement laying was the almost complete replacement of the roadways made from wood blocks for asphalt ones (Nevsky Prospect, Kirovsky Prospect, Suvorovsky Prospect, Ostrovskogo Square, Krasnogo Flota Embankment, Zodchego Rossi Street). Asphalt pavements were made at Gigant cinema, on the streets of Vasilievsky Island and Petrogradskaya Side, the embankments of the Obvodny Canal and Griboedova Canal.

1932

The Asphaltobetonnaya baza N1 (the future Asphaltobetonny zavod N1) was established within Lendorkhoz complex of enterprises. It became the first specialized enterprise in Saint Petersburg producing road asphalt mixes for construction and repair of the roadway and improvement of territories.

Apart from production of road asphalt mixes the enterprise performs line works of roadway surfacing. It had to start from point zero. The road asphalt mix was laid and spread by hand. There was a high demand for such specialties as rakers, shovellers, draggers.

The first experience of asphalt production at the enterprise was connected with surfacing of Mayorova Prospect. A serious test for the plant was reconstruction of Uritskogo Square (Palace Square). For the first time its main driveways were surfaced with double-layer asphalt.

On the whole the year of creation of the plant was marked by considerable growth of the area of   asphalt coverings of sidewalks and roadway. However, the asphalt sidewalks alone already make 300 thousand m2, which is 10% of all the pavements. Asphalt pavement of the roadway takes the area of about 160 thousand m2.